In this class, Roane State assistant professor and award-winning author Elizabeth Genovise will help you develop the skills necessary to conceptualize, draft and ultimately publish the stories you want to tell. A continuation of Fiction 101, this class will focus on the nuances of various points of view, story plotting and structuring, character development, and the purposeful use of fictional time and place.
Attendees will need to bring a notebook and pens/pencils.
Week 1: Exploring Point-of-View
- Explore point-of-view in depth and study some literary examples
- Try in-class writing prompts employing different points of view
Week 2: Studying Plot, Form, & Structure
- Learn to be the architect of a strong story
- Scan a short story with great building blocks
- Try an in-class writing prompt to explore character development via plot
Week 3: Exploring Fictional Place & Time
- Learn the ins and outs of utilizing setting, time, and flashbacks
- Study a literary example of flawless pacing
- Try an in-class writing prompt to test your new skills